Wednesday, February 18, 2009

My Letter To The Editor of The Village Voice

http://www.villagevoice.com/2009-02-18/news/is-foie-gras-torture/2


After reading Sarah Digregorio's piece on foie Gras, I had to sit back and collect my thoughts for a few hours, as I basically had to calm myself down from the sickness that people call "humanity". I am a person who believes that every being on this planet has a right to live and not be tortured, and despite her "findings", I still believe that this barbaric process is cruel. Just because she says that she never found any of the gruesome things that she has seen in the video footage, does NOT mean that this is not a cruel practice and should not clear one's consciousness to continue eating this "delicacy". Sticking a tube down an animal's throat and force-feeding IS cruel. Receiving the information that "ducks naturally do a certain amount of gorging" doesn't justify sticking a tube down their throat. People do a lot of natural (or unnatural, depends on how you want to look at it) gorging, too. Should we stick a tube down their throats?? We are supposed to be better than this, as most people would say that we are the "superior" beings on this planet. Well, if this is true, isn't it time that we start acting responsibly? Shame on Ms. Digregorio for what I feel is spreading the word that it is okay to eat foie gras because one farm has shown her that it isn't what you see in the video footage that's been spread around.

No comments:

Post a Comment